Grand Mum's Strawberry Cake
(Serves 8 - 10):
3 dl caster sugar
4 dl flour
2 tsp vaniljsocker (vanilla sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
175 g melted butter
2 dl milk
Bread crumbs and a little melted butter (for lining the cake tin)
250ml Vaniljvisp (vanilla cream) or Marsankräm (Swedish custard)
5 tbsp jam
2 dl whipping cream
1 l fresh strawberries
Mint leaves for decoration
- Set the oven to 200C (Gas mark 6).
- Line a 20-23 diameter spring form cake tin with a little melted butter and bread crumbs.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until fluffy (approx. 4 minutes).
- Mix the flour, vanilla sugar and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mix to the egg and sugar mix, and also add melted butter and milk.
Pour into the cake tin and bake in the lower part of the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Take the cake base out of the oven and tip upside down on a clean surface to cool.
- Cut the cake base in to three layers. Put mashed banana and vanilla cream/custard on one layer, jam in the middle layer and vanilla cream/custard on the top layer.
- Whisk the cream and spread over the top and sides. Decorate with fresh strawberries and mint leaves.