Swedish meatballs is both a traditional meal at Christmas and a staple on the dinner table. It's also perfect to freeze and bring out when you're lacking dinner inspiration.
500 g minced meat from beef and/or pork
250 ml milk
80 g white breadcrumbs
1 yellow onion
butter for frying
- Finely dice the onion and fry gently in a little butter without browning.
- Soak the breadcrumbs in milk and leave to rest for approximately ten minutes.
- Blend the minced meat with the onion, egg, spices and milk and breadcrumb mixture. Shape the mixture into balls the size of a walnut.
- Melt a knob of butter in a large frying pan or skillet over a medium heat.
- Fry the meatballs until brown all over. Serve your meatballs with mashed potatoes, a cream sauce, lingonberry jam or pickled cucumber.
- There are many varieties to this recipe. Experiment by adding fresh herbs such as chopped parsley.